Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Recycled Seed Packet Matching - Take it/Make it



It's  time for another installment of Take it And Make it Thursdays, hosted by Cynthia at the 2nd Grade Pad!  Click on the logo above and you can visit all of the wonderful Blogs linked up.  

My project for this week is Recycled Seed Packet Matching!

Materials needed:

Cardstock
Lamination
Large Popsicle Sticks
Recycled Seed Packets
Old seed catalogs, ads or photo/clipart images
Scissors
Permanent Ink Marker
Glue – E600

Recycled crafts can be fun to create as well as educational. This project is one that the kids can help you with! There aren't any set rules as to what types of seed packets you use. In my example, I have used a packet of vegetable seeds, and 2 flower packets.


Directions:

1. Gather together recycled seed packets. Select 5-10 different seed packets that feature a picture on the front. Look through seed catalogs, websites, or ads for pictures of the flowers/content of the seed packets.

2.  In my example, you'll see that I selected a picture of Acorn Squash, Dianthys, and Zinnias. Even though the pictures weren't exactly the same pictures as my seed packets, they were close enough.

3.  Cut out or print the pictures of the flowers/veggies to match the seed packets.
4.  Trim the pictures to fit on the end of a large popsicle stick.
5.  Laminate for durability. (Optional)
6.  Count out as many popsicle sticks as you have pictures. With a permanent ink pen, write the name of the flower/vegetable on one end of the popsicle stick.
7.  Glue the picture at the end of the popsicle stick opposite the writing, and let dry completely.

Once the tags are completely dry, the game is ready to be played.


Variation: Another variation to this game is to have the children sort vegetables from flowers by sorting into recycled aluminum cans marked with seed packets.

All of the supplies used to create this activity can be purchased from your local Dollar Tree/Store.



5 comments:

  1. What a clever idea!!! Perfect for spring!
    Laureen

    ReplyDelete
  2. So clever and fun! SO many possible variations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so cute! There is a company that always donates probably thousands of seed packets to our school. This would be such an excellent use of the packets after we plant the seeds! Also cute if you have a garden theme in your classroom!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea and timely for spring. I love the whole theme of recycling used products as well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh gosh! I love this idea!! I am thinking if I laminate the packets, I could also use them to make what flowers I have planted in my garden. I sometimes forget what I planted where and this would be awesome to help me keep up with it! Thanks for sharing!

    Teresa

    2nd Grade Pig Pen

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment! I love to hear from you!