Thursday, March 14, 2013

Spring Clothespin Game


Materials Needed:

Tulip Clothespin Game Template (click link to download)
Cardstock
Scissors
Lamination (heat laminator or clear contact paper)

Colored Clothespins:

Small – Medium wood clothespins
RIT Liquid Dye


The Spring Clothespin game is a fun, and flexible game that can be adapted to the age group you're working with, skills, and themes. The PDF template that I have included in this tutorial features a tulip, but any character/theme can be substituted.



On the first example, I put words on the flower pots. The object of the game is to find the rhyming word in the bubble that matches. The correct answer is clipped with a colorful wood clothespin.




In the second example features simple math problems written on the tulip, with the answer being in the bubble that is clipped by the small wooden clothespin. I put pre-cut cards in a cute cello bag, including a little bit of recycled (pink)shredded paper, 3 colored wood clothespins. The bag was topped with a simple cardstock header and ribbon. Perfect for party favors, holiday gift giving, teacher gifts, or a surprise for your children. The options are endless for this game!


Directions:

1. Print off a copy of the Spring Clothespin game template provided.
2. Color, and cut out prior to laminating. (The lamination will have a better seal of the game cards are cut out and then laminated).
3. After the cards are laminated, the cards are ready for play.

Coloring Wood Clothespins:

1. Select the number of wood clothespins that you'd like to color.

I used the smaller wood clothespins for this project tutorial, but it's recommended
to use the larger clothespins when working with young children.

2. Select the color dye that you want to use. RIT dye comes in a dry or liquid coloring in an array of colors. For this tutorial I used the liquid dye and I think it worked better.

3. Put warm water in a plastic or glass container, add the RIT dye to achieve the desired
color that you want.

The longer that you keep the wood clothespins in the water, the darker the color they will be. For large batches of pins, use 2 cups of warm water and ¼ cup liquid dye. I dyed a small batch and so I did not use as much water or dye. For my example, I used Petal Pink RIT dye and it took a few hours for the color to soak in to the desired color. Depending on how dark the dye is, you may not have to leave
the pins in very long before they have reached full color.

4. After the pins have been dyed, pull them out and lay them on paper towels or something absorbant (not fabric because the dye will stain it).

I let my clothespins dry over night to make sure that they were fully dry before I used them.



This spring activity has been linked up to my buddy Cynthia's "Thursdays Take it and Make it Linky Party!!!!"  It was such a cool idea for her to put together.  Be sure to click on the logo above to visit Cynthia's blog to see other "Take it and Make it" projects and also to show some bloggy love all around! :)

Next week,  I will have an Easter project to share!  Stay tuned!




7 comments:

  1. What an adorable idea. I love all the details you have included. Thanks so much for linking up!

    :-)
    2nd Grade Pad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea Danielle! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Girl, I love your style! Thanks so much for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea, Danielle - looks very appealing! My kids would love the clothespins. Thanks for sharing!

    Wendy
    Teacher's Toolkit

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your spring clothes pin activity is so cute, colorful, and appealing. Thanks for sharing!

    Cindy
    Granny Goes to School

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE LOVE LOVE the fact that it's a blank layout that can be used for ANYTHING. Wherever the idea came from - GENIUS!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your sweet comment, Catherine! I am glad that you like the activity. The idea came from my brain...:) Enjoy! - Danielle-

      Delete

Thank you for your comment! I love to hear from you!